Horncliffe House’s ornate exterior is almost all that remains of this once grand residence. Originally built as a private dwelling for Henry Hoyle Hardman, a local mill owner and businessman, the building went through several uses, including an old people’s home and hotel, before closing in 2007. In 2008, an application to convert it back to a single dwelling was rejected, and the house was subsequently abandoned. A fire in 2019 devasted the interior, which by then was already seriously dilapidated.
At its peak in 1892, Healings Flour Mill was considered to be the largest and most advanced flour mill in the country, capable of producing 25 sacks of flour an hour. Operations ceased in 2006, and the complex of buildings is now derelict.
Icknield Street School is in urgent need of repairs. Despite being partly in use on the ground floor as a Hindu temple, its upper storeys are vacant. Water leaks from the slate roofs and gutters are now causing damage to both roof and walls
The market tells the story of Burslem’s rise and subsequent decline, with its ghost signs and fading advertisements from the Victorian era that still adorn several closed shops attached to the market hall. Burslem indoor market’s gothic design and ironwork is reminiscent of King’s Cross station in London.
The Jones and Higgins Department store opened on the corner of Rye Lane and Peckham High Street in 1867 and formed a key part of a ‘Golden Mile’ of shops that rivalled Oxford Street. The clock tower was designed by Southwark architects Henry Jarvis & Sons, who also built Dulwich Hospital and the Walworth Town Hall. They took their inspiration for the building’s façade from the Clock Tower in St. Mark’s Square, Venice.
Minley Home Farm was once part of the sprawling Minley Manor Estate. It was completed circa 1896 to the designs of Arthur Castings, associate to the renowned George Devey, who worked on other buildings in the estate. The model farmstead was designed to reflect farming changes during the agricultural depression when arable land was converted to livestock use after cheap imports from America caused wheat prices to plummet.
Oldham Equitable Cooperative Society (Hill Stores) commissioned Thomas Taylor to build what would be one of the largest buildings in the area, and it was completed in 1900.
The Church of St Helen, Biscathorpe stands nearly alone, its former village having long since disappeared. Rebuilt on the site of the old church in 1847 by W. A. Nicholson in a fanciful Gothic style - more than fifty grotesque faces perched high on the steeple peer down onto visitors.
The hospital first opened in 1908 as ‘Cardiff Lunatic Asylum', in the typical style for medical facilities – with a spine of central administrative blocks, and to each side, five-storey ward blocks.
Halifax Coal Drops were built for the Ovenden and Halifax Junction Railway Co. and are an important part of the town’s industrial history. They comprise 15 wooden bunkers built into the hillside supported between stone piers. Trains would stop over the top and unload coal into the bunkers, and local traders would back their horse-drawn carts into the spaces beneath to load their coal for distribution.