Birmingham & West Midlands Group’s eighth annual conservation award presented by Professor Sir David Cannadine, to Birmingham City University. The Award is sponsored by Hortons’ Estate Limited.
On Saturday 22nd July Professor Sir David Cannadine, Vice President of the Society, accompanied by Professor Hilary Grainger our chair, presented the Birmingham & West Midlands Group’s eighth annual conservation award to Birmingham City University, in recognition of the City University’s exemplary restoration of the Eccles Works as part of the STEAMhouse development. Professor Philip Plowden, BCU Vice Chancellor accepted an illuminated certificate and a 19” bronze disc recording the name of the winner and the year, for display, on or in the building. The Victorian industrial building erected in 1899 as a 'Manufactory' for the Eccles Rubber & Cycle Company. was seriously damaged by fire in 2007 and appeared on the Victorian Society’s regional watchlist of endangered buildings for a number of years. The Conservation Award, sponsored by Hortons’ Estate Limited, recognises an outstanding renovation or conservation project on a building that dates (or has had substantial alteration/additions) from between 1837-1914, within the geographical remit of the Birmingham & West Midlands Group of the Victorian Society.
The distinctive terracotta façade, and all the elements of the frontage, have been reinstated following the fire. Terracotta is one of the most distinctive building materials of the city of Birmingham. The prolific Birmingham-based architect who designed the locally listed Grade A building was Frederick W. Lloyd who was also responsible for the Guildhall Buildings in Navigation Street and Stephenson Street (1899). Aukett Swanke were the architects for the former factory’s restoration to become part of the STEAMhouse complex which houses a multi-disciplinary community of entrepreneurs, businesses, academic researchers and students
Photo credit: Birmingham City University